U.S. Navy Selects Branch Serving Naval Support Activity Panama City as Best in 2018
VIENNA, Va. (August 1, 2019) – Navy Federal Credit Union’s branch located on Naval Support Activity (NSA) Panama City in Florida received the Department of the Navy’s Distinguished Credit Union Service Award for 2018. The recognition comes after the branch went above and beyond in supporting the community in response to Hurricane Michael. This is the 13th consecutive “Credit Union of the Year” award Navy Federal has received for one of its branches from the United States Navy.
“We are humbled by this recognition,” said Pam Ackerland, Navy Federal branch manager. “This past year we certainly faced disaster in Panama City. But, coming together as a team and putting our members first is at the center of everything we do, and it was an honor to be there for our members when they needed us most; it’s what we do.”
Commander Jay Sego, former Commanding Officer of Naval Support Activity Panama City, nominated the branch for the distinguished award. In his nomination package, Sego highlighted that the branch, “consistently goes the extra mile assisting our service members, retired, civilian staff, and their families alike – they differentiate themselves from their peers with unparalleled service!”
Additionally, Sego recognized the NSA Panama City branch for the following efforts:
- Immediately following Hurricane Michael, the team set up a temporary branch in the parking lot of a local hotel equipped with six cash dispensing Automated Teller Machines (ATMs).
- In order to serve members after the hurricane, a strike team was assembled. Even though branch team members had their personal lives disrupted by the hurricane, they put the needs of the members first and were there to serve.
- The Navy Federal branch team is committed to education for the military and their families in the community.
- The branch partnered with Gulf Coast State College to create military specific scholarships. Additionally, the branch has offered numerous financial education opportunities to all commands aboard the station, including the Coast Guard.
- The Navy Federal team has provided a family atmosphere for everyone that visits the branch. Team members address many members by name as they walk into the branch. This atmosphere has allowed them to build trusting relationships where everyone that visits feels respected and appreciated.
“Teams like our team at NSA Panama City show the value of serving where our members serve,” said Dietrich Kuhlmann, senior vice president, Branch Operations. “It makes me, and the rest of Navy Federal, proud to witness our team members fulfilling our mission of going above and beyond to always put our members first.”
Contact: Casey Pelfrey
Phone: (703) 206-4850