Is your credit card working for you? If it’s a rewards card, it can. As you make everyday purchases, your rewards can stack up and be put to use. Here’s how to get the most out of your rewards credit card.
Get the Rewards You Want
When choosing a rewards credit card, it’s important to find one that matches your wants and needs. You’ll want to take into account how rewards are earned, what they can be redeemed for and any other perks the card might offer. Fortunately, you have a few different options when it comes to credit card rewards:
- Earn points. Points are typically earned at a rate of about 1 point per dollar spent. Some points-based rewards cards give you extra points when you spend money within certain categories or at certain retailers. These points can be redeemed with your card issuer in exchange for merchandise, flights, hotels, car rentals, gift cards and more. Navy Federal points-based cards include the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card, Visa Signature® Flagship Rewards Card and GO REWARDS® card.
- Earn cash. Some rewards cards skip the points process and reward you with cash outright. The cash is generally offered as account credit or in the form of gift cards. Cash-back cards like Navy Federal’s cashRewards card reward you based on a percentage of your spending, sometimes with varying amounts for certain spending categories.
- Earn miles. Travel rewards cards generally reward you with miles for every purchase you make. These miles can be put toward select domestic and international flights. Different cards reward different types of spending, so it pays to choose a card that matches your spending habits. For example, if you spend a lot on groceries, you might want a card that provides extra rewards for supermarket purchases. On the other hand, if you don’t spend much in common bonus categories like restaurants or travel, you might be better served by a card that offers a flat rewards rate on all spending.
How to Redeem Your Rewards
Once you’ve earned some rewards, you’ll want to start redeeming them. To redeem rewards earned on a Navy Federal rewards credit card, follow the steps below.
Via Online Banking:
- Sign in to digital banking.
- On your “Accounts” page, select the rewards card.
- Under “Rewards Points,” click “Rewards” to enter the redemption site.
Via Mobile Banking:*
- Sign in to the mobile app.
- On your “Accounts” screen, select the rewards card.
- Tap “Rewards,” then select “Redeem Rewards” to enter the redemption site.
Make the Most of Member Deals
An often overlooked perk to rewards cards are online shopping portals that offer a shopping experience with bonus deals for card carriers. At Navy Federal Credit Union, credit cardholders can access Member Deals, where you can shop deals from brands such as Apple®, The Home Depot® and Nike®. Offers available on Member Deals can earn you up to 15 points or 15 percent cash back per dollar spent.1 You also get access to exclusive special offers, a featured deal of the week and free shipping from select retailers. Learn how to access Member Deals.
Learn All Your Card Can Do
The capabilities of your Navy Federal Credit Card can go even further. Make sure you’re getting all you can by visiting the Cardholder Resources page. Looking for a new credit card? Compare the cards available at Navy Federal.Program excludes Navy Federal Business and Home Equity Line Visa® Platinum credit cards and Navy Federal Debit Cards. Rewards are subject to change and vary by merchant. Reward types will be based on the member’s purchasing credit card. cashRewards cardholders will receive cash back. Platinum cardholders will receive a statement credit, and all others will receive points.
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card is issued and administered by Navy Federal Credit Union. American Express is a federally registered service mark of American Express and is used by the issuer pursuant to a license.
Nike is a registered trademark of Nike, Inc. The Home Depot is a registered trademark of Home Depot Product Authority, LLC.