Bottom Line Up Front
- Take advantage of coupon apps and sites, and use a rewards credit card to earn points or cash back.
- Earn extra points and cash back when you shop at more than 950 popular stores through Navy Federal Member Deals.
Shopping for back-to-school supplies or college essentials is no small task, and while many of the items your kids will need may not be expensive, the large number of items required can really add up at checkout. Although you may already know the drill, it never hurts to have reminders of ways you can save more on this year’s back-to-school shopping.
- Supercharge your savings. Our first stop is always Navy Federal Member Deals.1 Navy Federal members can shop online with Member Deals at more than 950 popular stores—like Apple®, Walmart®, Target® and Staples®—and get extra points or cash back. On top of your regular rewards, you’ll earn up to 15 points or 15% cash back for every dollar you spend with your Navy Federal Credit Card. Plus, you’ll also have access to exclusive special offers, alerts and deals of the week to save you even more. That can mean putting some serious cash back in your pocket—for more school supplies—or other things.
- Stick to your list and your budget. Ever spend more than you needed to? So have we. One solution is to set a budget and decide to buy only what’s on your kids’ supply lists. It really does make you feel way less tempted by impulse buys, and even better, you’ll probably avoid overspending. Another thing we’ve found that works well is to track what you’re spending. That’s why we’ve made it simple for you to check how you’re doing along the way with our mobile app* and online banking.
- Coupon Sites and Apps. Sites like Honey, coupons.com and RetailMeNot provide discount codes you can use at checkout when you’re shopping online.
- Take Advantage of Credit Card Points. Have a rewards credit card? Use those points to make purchases and reduce how much you pay out of pocket. Plus, it’s a good time to remind yourself where you can earn the most points, so you can maximize your rewards. Navy Federal members can redeem their points for cash, merchandise or gift cards.
- Consignment Shops and Social Media Groups. If you’re looking for even more savings, gently used items found at consignment shops, sites like eBay or neighborhood marketplace groups on social media could save you a ton of money.
- Shop on tax-free days. A few states set aside days when certain purchases will be tax-free. Check to see if and when your state offers a tax-free holiday.
- Combine multiple savings options. You may save even more by combining multiple savings options. For example, you might shop through Member Deals with your rewards credit card and add a coupon code—maybe even on a tax-free holiday.
1Rewards are subject to change and vary by merchant. Reward types are based on the purchasing credit card. cashRewards receives cash back, Platinum receives a statement credit, and all others receive points. Program excludes Navy Federal business and Home Equity Line Visa® Platinum credit cards and Navy Federal Debit Cards.
RetailMeNot and RMN are registered trademarks of RetailMeNot, Inc. Apple is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. The Spark Design, Walmart, and Save Money, Live Better are registered trademarks of Walmart Stores Inc. TARGET is a trademark of Target Brands, Inc. STAPLES is a trademark of STAPLES, INC.