Bottom Line Up Front
- The NHL's principles of Passion, Integrity, Perseverance, Teamwork and Courage can align with your own aspirations for financial success, and help you reach your goals.
- Know someone in your community who serves as a community champion? Submit an entry for the chance to win them an unforgettable hockey experience and a charitable donation.
After a challenging year, we've been waiting for the puck to drop and are so excited hockey is finally back. Now we all know hockey is a sport that requires swift action and even quicker decision making on the ice. But behind the scenes, the players carefully develop skills to work together as a cohesive unit and score goals, while building character and a sense of community. The National Hockey League’s Declaration of Principles includes Passion, Integrity, Perseverance, Teamwork and Courage. Could they help you score special financial goals?
- Passion. A big goal, such as buying a home, starting a business or increasing your credit score, will involve personal drive and motivation. Like a hockey player practicing their skating and shooting skills, you’ll want to do research so you can be confident about your financial decisions and make saving a “practice” or routine. You also want to find the passion in the thing you’re saving for—having a space of your own to decorate and settle in to, providing the very best for your children or expanding your horizons by seeing the world.
- Integrity. “We do the right thing, not the easy thing,” is part of the NHL’s Integrity declaration. How will you save for your goal? Earning and saving money isn’t always easy. It can take hard work, sacrifice and long hours. You may choose to get a seasonal or second job to boost your savings. You may decide to save, rather than spend bonuses and tax refunds. Paying bills on time to maintain a good credit score is also important if you’re looking to get an auto loan or mortgage.
- Perseverance. Saving money takes ongoing discipline. You can help maintain your determination to succeed by making regular deposits to your savings account, setting up automatic transfers from checking to savings, opening other savings vehicles (such as certificates) and monitoring your progress with digital banking.*
- Teamwork. Large financial goals may need expert help, such as working together with a real estate professional to buy a home, or consulting a financial advisor to create a plan for college or retirement. Having a team you can count on can help you gain confidence and be prepared to follow through with your plans.
- Courage. Buying a home, sending a child to college or purchasing tickets for a dream vacation are all big deals! Even when something is exciting, you may still feel a little apprehensive. It’s normal. Just remember, as Hockey Hall of Famer Wayne Gretzky said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” Saving for and reaching a big goal teaches valuable skills and life lessons. When you get there, be sure to appreciate your achievement!
Navy Federal and the NHL® have teamed up to recognize the outstanding community service of hockey fans and military members by naming a Stick Tap for Service™ champion. Do you know someone who always goes above and beyond helping others? Nominate a community champion today for a chance to win them an unforgettable hockey experience and a charitable donation. Learn how to submit an entry.
Navy Federal Credit Union is the Official Military Appreciation Sponsor of the National Hockey League. From educational resources to financial tools, learn all the ways Navy Federal Credit Union can help you focus on your financial ambitions and reach your goals.
NHL and the NHL Shield are registered trademarks and NHL Stick Tap For Service name and logo are trademarks of the National Hockey League. © NHL 2021. All Rights Reserved.
No purchase necessary. 50 U.S./D.C. 18+. Nominations end February 28, 2021. Rules apply.