Hockey is a sport that requires swift action and even quicker decision making on the ice. But behind the scenes, the players carefully develop skills to work together as a cohesive unit and score goals, while building character and a sense of community. The National Hockey League’s Declaration of Principles includes Passion, Integrity, Perseverance, Teamwork and Courage. Could they help you score special savings goals?
- Passion. A big goal, such as buying a home, paying for college or taking a dream vacation, will involve personal drive and motivation. Like a hockey player practicing their skating and shooting skills, you’ll want to do research so you can be confident about your financial decisions and make saving a “practice” or routine. You also want to find the passion in the thing you’re saving for—having a space of your own to decorate and settle in to, providing the very best for your children or expanding your horizons by seeing the world.
- Integrity. “We do the right thing, not the easy thing,” is part of the NHL’s Integrity declaration. How will you save for your goal? Earning and saving money isn’t always easy. It can take hard work, sacrifice and long hours. You may choose to get a seasonal or second job to boost your savings. You may decide to save, rather than spend bonuses and tax refunds. Paying bills on time to maintain a good credit score is also important if you’re looking to get an auto loan or mortgage.
- Perseverance. Saving money takes ongoing discipline. You can help maintain your determination to succeed by making regular deposits to your savings account, setting up automatic transfers from checking to savings, opening other savings vehicles (such as certificates) and monitoring your progress with digital banking.*
- Teamwork. Large goals may need expert help, such as working together with a real estate professional to buy a home, or consulting a financial advisor to create a plan for college or retirement. Having a team you can count on can help you gain confidence and be prepared to follow through with your plans.
- Courage. Buying a home, sending a child to college or purchasing tickets for a dream vacation are all big deals! Even when something is exciting, you may still feel a little apprehensive. It’s normal. Just remember, as Hockey Hall of Famer Wayne Gretzky said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” Saving for and reaching a big goal teaches valuable skills and life lessons. When you get there, be sure to appreciate your achievement!
Navy Federal and the NHL® have teamed up to recognize the outstanding community service of hockey fans and military members by naming a Stick Tap for Service champion. Do you know someone who always goes above and beyond helping others? Nominate a community champion today for a chance to win a trip to a Stanley Cup® Final game and a charitable donation. Learn how to submit an entry.