Stay Safe from Skimming
ATMs are vulnerable to a scam called "skimming"—when someone steals your account information by attaching a magnetic strip called a card "skimmer" over the slot where you insert your ATM card. With this information, the scammer can recreate your card and drain your account. Learn more about ATM skimming
What To Do If You're a Victim
If you suspect a skimming device has been installed on a Navy Federal ATM, please contact us immediately at 1-888-842-6328. Contact your local police department to file a report as well. Monitor your accounts regularly, either by using our mobile app or online Account Access. If you notice suspicious transactions, report them immediately.
If you leave your Navy Federal card at an ATM, stop in to that branch location or call 1-888-842-6328 domestically or 1-703-255-8837 internationally (collect) to report your lost card.
WHAT WE'RE DOING FOR YOU
We work around the clock to ensure our ATMs are protected from skimmers and other attacks. We're on constant alert for potential fraudulent activity, monitoring our systems to ensure they're not vulnerable to attacks.
Protect yourself from skimming and other threats at the ATM with these tips:
- Avoid standalone or unusual-looking ATMs; choose one in well-lit areas like lobbies or stores.
- Have your card ready and stand directly in front of the ATM. Leave once your transaction is complete.
- Stop the transaction and notify the ATM owner if something seems suspicious with an ATM's keyboard or card slot.
- Shield the keyboard with your hand as you enter your PIN and be aware of anyone standing too close.
- Notify the ATM owner immediately if your card is not returned from the machine.
- Report all suspected crimes to the ATM operator/owner and to local law enforcement officials.
- Don't let other people use your cards or know your PIN—memorize the number instead of writing it down.
- Keep your car doors locked, other windows closed and the engine running when at a drive-thru ATM.
If you suspect a skimming device has been installed on a Navy Federal ATM, contact 1-888-842-6328.