What to Do If You're a Victim of ID Theft

If you think you are a victim of identity theft, take these steps immediately.

  1. Contact us and any other of your financial institutions and credit card companies to close affected accounts.
  2. Report lost or stolen checks to your financial institution and stop all payments. Then contact these check verification companies:
    • Telecheck: 1-800-710-9898
    • Certegy, Inc.: 1-800-437-5120

    You can also call SCAN at 1-800-262-7771 to find out if bad checks have been passed in your name.

  3. Notify one of the three major credit bureaus and place a Fraud Alert on your credit report. Once one credit agency confirms your fraud alert, the other two will automatically be notified.




  4. Call the Social Security Fraud Hotline at 1-800-269-0271 to report that your card has been lost or stolen. Be sure to obtain a new driver's license and number.
  5. Close all accounts in your name that were opened without your permission. Make sure you communicate with the businesses in writing.
  6. File a report with your local law enforcement agency. Be sure to obtain a case/incident number and ask for a copy of the report. Even if you do not catch the criminal, having the police report can help you clear up your credit records.
  7. Report stolen mail to the U.S. Postal Service. You can file a report online or by calling toll-free 877-876-2455.
  8. Notify the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) online by calling 877-ID-THEFT (877-438-4338).
  9. Alert the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) by calling 1-800-732-0330, if you identify suspicious activity in your investment accounts.

Need to report a lost or stolen Navy Federal Visa® Debit Card or CUCARD®? Call 1-888-842-6328. If you believe you have deposited a fraudulent check or other negotiable item, call us at 1-888-503-7105