Checking Protection Options
Protect Your Checking Accounts
Whether it's a simple checkbook miscalculation, car repairs, urgent medicine or unplanned travel, we understand mistakes happen and emergencies arise. Navy Federal offers three protection options to make sure you're covered.
Pays overdrafts at no charge.
- Automatically moves money from savings to checking to pay for overdrafts, as long as funds are available
- Free of charge and, in combination with other transfers, is limited to six uses per month
Automatic Coverage Convenience
Overdrafts will be paid automatically if you have sufficient funds available in your Navy Federal savings account.
Checking Line of Credit
(previously called Overdraft Line of Credit)
With NAVCHEK®, a checking line of credit,1 your checking account is covered. It protects you from overdrafts and from having transactions denied for non-sufficient funds. Plus, it's an easy and convenient line of credit when you need quick access to cash.
- Coverage with no per-item overdraft fees
- Access cash when you need it for large or unexpected expenses
- Payments at low interest rates
- A low interest rate with monthly payments that are 2% of the outstanding balance or $20, whichever is higher. Rates range from 13.9% to 17.9% APR.2
Optional Overdraft Protection Service3 (OOPS)
OOPS covers overdrafts from checks, Automated Teller Machine (ATM) withdrawals, Automated Clearing House (ACH) transactions (for automatic bill payments) and debit card transactions.
- A $20 fee will be assessed for each overdraft
- No fee on transactions of $5 or less, or if your total overdrawn balance is less than $15
- Maximum of three overdraft fees charged per day (if overdrafts exceed three in a day, the account remains open, but no additional fees will be charged)
- Total overdrafts cannot exceed $500, including fees
- 30 days to bring the account back to active status4
- Does not require credit approval
Opt in to OOPS
To opt in to OOPS, call us at 1-888-842-6328 or use the steps below to opt in online:
- Log on to Online Banking
- Click the "Account Services" tab
- Find the "Checking & Savings" section
- Click "Optional Overdraft Protection Service"
You can also mail/fax us the form below.
1Checking Line of Credit is a credit product and subject to credit approval. 2Rates based on creditworthiness, so your rate may differ. Rates range from 13.9% APR to 17.9% APR. 3OOPS pays checks, POS debit card (Navy Federal Debit Card) transactions, ATM withdrawals, and Automated Clearing House (ACH) transactions presented against your checking account when it is overdrawn. OOPS coverage must be repaid promptly. Your account may become overdrawn in excess of the $500 limit due to fees. Should the account remain overdrawn beyond 30 days of the initial transaction posting, the OOPS will be frozen. The account must have a positive balance for a minimum of one business day to allow the deposited funds to clear and reset the 30-day repayment cycle. Should the account remain overdrawn beyond 45 days, OOPS privileges will be revoked permanently. Members may enroll up to two primary checking accounts in OOPS. Items will be posted in the following order: credits and deposits; branch withdrawals; ATM withdrawals; Navy Federal Debit Card or POS transactions that merchants have presented to us for payment; transfers from one Navy Federal account to another; ACH debits; checks written. When more than one transaction is processed from a group of transactions, the items will be posted in the order of lowest to highest amount within that group of transactions. Navy Federal pays overdrafts at our discretion and reserves the right not to pay. You must be at least 18 years old and a member for a minimum of 90 days for this service to be extended. You must also have no delinquencies or legal orders against your Navy Federal accounts in order to qualify. Members may not have both Checking Line of Credit and OOPS on the same account. 4The account must be in a positive status for a minimum of one business day to allow the deposited funds to clear. Additional Checking Protection options include Checking Line of Credit and Automatic Savings Transfers.