Life can be unpredictable. We understand things may happen that make it difficult to keep up with your mortgage payments. You may be eligible to refinance or modify your Navy Federal mortgage loan so your terms and monthly payments are more manageable. Or, you may qualify for a temporary or permanent solution to help you get your finances back on track. Department of Housing and Urban Development-approved counselors are also available to provide you with the information and assistance you may need to avoid foreclosure.
- Contact our mortgage specialists at 1-888-503-7102, Option 4, between 8 am and 6:30 pm, Eastern Time.
- Contact HUD Counselors at 1-888-995-4673. This hotline provides free, comprehensive foreclosure assistance and housing counseling services around the clock. You can also use the HUD online search tool to find a counselor near you.
Depending on your circumstances, staying in your home may not be possible; however, a short sale or Deed-in-Lieu of Foreclosure may be a better choice than foreclosure.
A short sale is an option if your home is worth less than your mortgage payoff amount. You’ll need to list your property with a real estate agent, obtain a contract and apply for assistance. In some cases, relocation assistance may be available.
Deed-in-Lieu of Foreclosure
If you’re unable to sell your home, a Deed-in-Lieu of Foreclosure allows you to transfer ownership to Navy Federal Credit Union, upon approval.
Mortgage Loss Mitigation Escalation and Appeals
If you’d like to escalate your case, we have a process designed to address specific instances that meet the following criteria:
- You receive a loss mitigation denial letter and would like to appeal the reason for denial.
- You didn't receive adequate notice from us about your foreclosure alternatives.
- Your loan was referred to foreclosure prematurely, or we didn't suspend foreclosure activities when we were required to.
- Your completed application for assistance wasn't properly evaluated or was improperly denied.
- You've retained an attorney to help you resolve an outstanding mortgage dispute or reasonably believe your loan is being serviced in a fraudulent manner.
To File an Escalated or Appeal Case
Send us a letter describing the specific reasons your case fits one of the criteria above. If you’re filing an appeal, you must have supporting documentation.
Send your letter to:
Navy Federal Credit Union
Attn: Mortgage and Equity Resolutions/Loss Mitigation
P.O. Box 3302
Merrifield, VA 22119-3302
ATTN: Complaint Resolution Team
What to Expect
After receiving your qualified escalation or request for appeal, we’ll send you a letter of acknowledgement by the third business day after we receive your request. We may have a resolution within 14 days. If more research is necessary, we may request this from you via phone. We’ll also respond in writing to explain the actions we’ve taken.
Have questions? Contact us at 1-888-842-6328, Monday-Saturday, 7 am-midnight, ET.