To continue enjoying all the features of Navy Federal Online, please use a compatible browser.
You can confirm your browser capability here.
Life can be unpredictable. We understand things may happen that make it difficult to keep up with your mortgage payments. You may be eligible to refinance or modify your Navy Federal mortgage loan so your terms and monthly payments are more manageable. Or, you may qualify for a temporary or permanent solution to help you get your finances back on track. Department of Housing and Urban Development-approved counselors are also available to provide you with the information and assistance you may need to avoid foreclosure.
- Contact our mortgage specialists at 1-888-503-7102, Option 4, between 8 am and 6:30 pm, Eastern Time.
- Contact HUD Counselors at 1-888-995-4673. This hotline provides free, comprehensive foreclosure assistance and housing counseling services around the clock. You can also use the HUD online search tool to find a counselor near you.
Home Retention Options
Depending on your circumstances, you might be eligible to refinance or modify your current loan to lower your monthly payments. Here are some options.
Receive a new mortgage loan with a lower interest rate or other favorable terms.
- Best for people who need to lower their monthly payments so they're more affordable
Pay the total amount owed in a lump-sum payment and by a specific date.
- Best for people who are able to bring their mortgage current to avoid foreclosure
Make up missed payments by adding a portion of the past due amount to your regular monthly payment amount over an extended period of time.
- Best for people who need time to catch up on late payments instead of coming up with a lump sum
Make reduced mortgage payments or no payments for a specific period of time.
- Best for people who need time to improve their financial situation and get back on track
Missed payments are paid at the end of the original term.
- Best for people who need to get back on track and are able to resume their regularly scheduled payment
Makes your home more affordable by modifying the terms of your mortgage loan to reduce monthly payments.
- Best for people who need more manageable payments or terms as a permanent solution to a long-term or permanent hardship
Depending on your circumstances, staying in your home may not be possible; however, a short sale or Deed-in-Lieu of Foreclosure may be a better choice than foreclosure.
A short sale is an option if your home is worth less than your mortgage payoff amount. You’ll need to list your property with a real estate agent, obtain a contract and apply for assistance. In some cases, relocation assistance may be available.
If you’re unable to sell your home, a Deed-in-Lieu of Foreclosure allows you to transfer ownership to Navy Federal Credit Union, upon approval.
To see if you’re eligible for any of our home-retention or liquidation options, complete the Borrower Response Package and follow the enclosed instructions to submit it to us. A mortgage default specialist will contact you to discuss next steps. Continue making your mortgage payments as scheduled, even after you've submitted your request.
Get Started with your application.
Mortgage Loss Mitigation Escalation and Appeals
If you’d like to escalate your case, we have a process designed to address specific instances that meet the following criteria:
- You receive a loss mitigation denial letter and would like to appeal the reason for denial.
- You didn't receive adequate notice from us about your foreclosure alternatives.
- Your loan was referred to foreclosure prematurely, or we didn't suspend foreclosure activities when we were required to.
- Your completed application for assistance wasn't properly evaluated or was improperly denied.
- You've retained an attorney to help you resolve an outstanding mortgage dispute or reasonably believe your loan is being serviced in a fraudulent manner.
Send us a letter describing the specific reasons your case fits one of the criteria above. If you’re filing an appeal, you must have supporting documentation.
Send your letter to:
Navy Federal Credit Union
Attn: Mortgage and Equity Resolutions/Loss Mitigation
P.O. Box 3302
Merrifield, VA 22119-3302
ATTN: Complaint Resolution Team
After receiving your qualified escalation or request for appeal, we’ll send you a letter of acknowledgement by the third business day after we receive your request. We may have a resolution within 14 days. If more research is necessary, we may request this from you via phone. We’ll also respond in writing to explain the actions we’ve taken.
Have questions? Contact us at 1-888-842-6328, Monday-Saturday, 7 am-midnight, ET.