To continue enjoying all the features of Navy Federal Online, please use a compatible browser. You can confirm your browser capability here.

Guidance for Mortgage Support Requests

The following information will help you navigate Title Transfers, Subordination Requests and Collateral Change Requests. For additional help, call us at 1-800-243-9334.

Mortgage Title Transfers

Our Real Estate Lending Support team can guide you through the mortgage title transfer process. For help, call us at 1-800-243-9334, option 2, or email us at

Here’s a list of common documents you’ll need for the following situations:

Loss of a loved one

  • Certified copy of death certificate
  • Recorded deed or other homeownership document

Divorce or legal separation

  • Recently recorded deed to your property
  • Certified copy of your divorce decree or judgment

Transferring ownership to a spouse or child

  • Most recent recorded deed
  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificate

Transferring property interest into a trust

  • Copy of trust document

You may also fax documents to 1-855-579-3656. Please include a cover sheet with your name and contact number so our support team can contact you to assist with your unique scenario.

Information on this web page is not legal advice and should not be construed as such. We recommend you consult with an independent legal advisor or, where appropriate, contact your local probate court where the property is located for information on the probate process.

For additional information about planning your estate or settling accounts after a loved one passes, please refer to Estate Planning & Account Settlement.

Subordination Request

If you decide to refinance your first mortgage with a different lender and have one or more equity loans on the same property, you’ll need to submit a subordination request. This will legally specify which mortgage takes precedence.

In most cases, your new lender or title company will submit the subordination request to us on your behalf. Be sure to check with them.

To process your request, we require a $150 non-refundable fee. Please include a check or cashier’s check with your request package. During processing, we'll pull a credit report for each borrower listed on the equity loan, so be sure to unlock or unfreeze your credit when you submit your request.

Subordination requests are processed in the order they're received and typically completed within 3 weeks (15 business days) once we receive a completed package.

To make a subordination request, call us at 1-800-243-9334, option 3, or email us at

Collateral Change Request

You’ll need a collateral change if you plan to:

  • add to or release part of your land
  • adjust your property's boundary line with a neighbor
  • add an easement or right of way for access to a specific part of your land
  • release land as part of a condemnation or eminent domain request from your county
  • approve requests for oil, gas or mineral rights beneath the surface of your land

To make a collateral change request, call us at 1-800-243-9334, option 4, or email us at