Is your credit card working for you? If it’s a rewards loyalty program card, it can! As you make everyday purchases, your rewards can stack up and be put to great use.
Get the Rewards You Want
When choosing a credit card rewards program, it’s important to find one that matches your lifestyle. You might be looking for cash-back rewards, low annual and transaction fees, or maybe plenty of rewards redemption options for hotel stays, gas station purchases are a priority. You’ll also want to look at how rewards are earned, the types of rewards and any other perks the credit card issuer might offer (like extended warranty).
- Earn points. Points are typically earned at a flat rate of about 1 point per dollar value spent. Some points-based rewards cards offer incentives that give you sign-up bonuses or bonus points and bonus rewards when you spend money within certain categories or at certain retailers. These points can be redeemed with your card issuer in exchange for merchandise, flights, hotels, car rentals, gift cards and more. Navy Federal points-based cards include the Navy Federal More Rewards American Express®, Visa Signature® Flagship Rewards, GO REWARDS® and nRewards® Secured cards.
- Earn cash. Some of the best credit card rewards cards skip the point-value process and reward you with cash outright. The cash is generally offered as account credit or in the form of gift cards. Cash-back cards like Navy Federal’s cashRewards card reward you based on a percentage of your spending, sometimes with varying amounts for certain spending categories.
- Earn miles. Travel rewards credit cards generally reward you with miles for every purchase you make. These miles can be put toward select domestic and international flights.
Different cards reward different types of spending, so it pays to choose a card that matches your spending habits. For example, if you spend a lot at grocery stores, you might want a card that provides extra rewards for supermarket purchases. If you don’t spend much within the bonus categories, you might be better off with card offers with a cash-back credit card.
How to Redeem Your Credit Card Rewards Points
Once you’ve earned some rewards, you’ll want to start redeeming them. To redeem rewards earned on a Navy Federal rewards credit card, follow the steps below.
Via Mobile Banking:*
- Sign in to the mobile app.
- On your “Accounts” screen, select the rewards card.
- Tap “Rewards,” then select “Redeem Rewards” to enter the redemption site.
1Program excludes Navy Federal Business and Home Equity Line Visa® Platinum credit cards and Navy Federal Debit Cards. Rewards are subject to change and vary by merchant. Reward types will be based on the member’s purchasing credit card. cashRewards cardholders will receive cash back. Platinum cardholders will receive a statement credit, and all others will receive a number of points.
The Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card is issued and administered by Navy Federal Credit Union. American Express is a federally registered service mark of American Express and is used by the issuer pursuant to a license.
Apple is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Nike is a registered trademark of Nike, Inc. The Home Depot is a registered trademark of Home Depot Product Authority, LLC.
This content is intended to provide general information and shouldn't be considered legal, tax or financial advice. It's always a good idea to consult a tax or financial advisor for specific information on how certain laws apply to your situation and about your individual financial situation.