Credit & Debit Card Fraud
Protect Your Personal Information
Credit and debit card fraud involves the unauthorized use of another person's card information to make purchases from their account or access their funds.
Card fraud occurs through a variety of channels, including online scams, data breaches, and card or mail theft. Know how to defend yourself and rest assured Navy Federal is continually monitoring for threats and suspicious activity. Luckily, there are a number of things you can do to protect yourself:
Be Careful with Your Card Information
- Record your card and account numbers along with expiration dates in a safe place at home. Include the phone number for each card company so you can report fraud and minimize damage quickly.
- Carry only the cards you need so there is less for a potential thief to take and fewer cards you'll have to freeze if your wallet is lost or stolen.
- Shred documents containing personal information before throwing them away.
- Never give your account number to anyone on the phone unless you initiated the call to a company you know to be reputable.
Use Your Card Wisely
- Never sign a receipt leaving lines, such as the total, blank. The information on a blank receipt may be changed after you've already signed it. Drawing a line through any blank spaces may help.
- Watch your card during a transaction and make sure you get it back.
- Look for irregularities with an ATM before using it, especially with the card slot. If it looks odd, it may be a skimmer used to capture your credit card information. If you notice it after you've inserted your card, alert the card issuer.
- Be cautious when using your cards online. Only enter information on websites you're 100 percent sure are legitimate or use a third-party site when you can.
What to Do in Case of Fraud
If you suspect you're a victim of fraud or identity theft, call us immediately on our 24-hour service line at 1-888-842-6328. With our Zero Liability policy, you won't be responsible for any unauthorized card charges. Learn more about reporting fraud.
What We're Doing for You
Using state-of-the-art fraud prevention systems, our dedicated staff monitors your accounts for fraud and unusual activity and will notify you of any suspicious activity we identify. We follow strict safeguards when mailing out cards and statements, and verify your identity whenever calling in. To be certain that we reach you quickly, please make sure we have your updated contact information. In addition, our Zero Liability policy ensures that you won't be responsible for false charges to your Navy Federal Debit or Credit Card.
If you plan to travel internationally or domestically, you can add travel notifications as an added safeguard. This allows you to use your Navy Federal Debit and Credit Cards when our fraud monitoring would normally question any purchases you make.
There are three ways to place a travel notification on your account:
- Log on to Account Access and add a travel notification to your debit or credit card
- Choose the travel notification option on the Navy Federal mobile app*
- Call 1-888-842-6328 for 24/7 live phone support
Please be sure to provide the location and dates of your travel, including stopovers if you'll have connecting flights.