Be Careful With Your Card Information
- Never give your account information to anyone over the phone unless you initiated the call to a company you know to be reputable.
- Record your card and account numbers and expiration dates, and keep them in a safe place at home. Include the phone number for each card company, so if fraud does occur, you can report it quickly and minimize damage.
- Carry only the cards you need so there's less for a potential thief to take and fewer cards you'll have to freeze if your wallet is lost or stolen.
- Shred documents containing personal information before throwing them away.
Use Your Card Wisely
- Never sign a receipt leaving lines, such as the total, blank. The information on a blank receipt may be changed after you've already signed it. Drawing a line through any blank spaces may help.
- Watch your card during transactions and make sure you get it back.
- Be cautious when using your cards online. Only enter information on websites you're 100 percent sure are legitimate.
- Look for irregularities with an ATM before using it, especially with the card slot. If it looks odd, it may be a skimmer used to capture your credit card information. If you notice it after you've inserted your card, alert the card issuer.
Whether you plan to travel internationally or domestically, you can use travel notifications as an added safeguard. That way, our fraud monitoring team will know where to expect purchases and won’t flag legitimate charges.
There are 2 ways to place a travel notification on your account:
- Choose the travel notification option on the Navy Federal mobile app.*
- Call 1-888-842-6328 for 24/7 access to stateside member reps.
Be sure to provide the location and dates of your travel, including stopovers if you'll have connecting flights.
Ways We Protect You
We have dedicated staff using state-of-the-art fraud prevention systems to monitor your accounts for fraud and unusual activity. If we see anything suspicious, we’ll notify you. We also follow strict guidelines when mailing cards and statements, and verify your identity whenever you call us. And, if confirmed unauthorized charges ever do occur, we protect your debit and credit cards with our Zero Liability policy.
To make sure we can reach you quickly, check your profile to make sure we have your current contact information.