Using a Navy Federal Card Overseas?
If you’re using you Navy Federal Debit Card, CUCARD, or Navy Federal Business Debit Card Overseas, here are some things you’ll need to know.
Where & How to Use Your Card
The Navy Federal Debit Card and Navy Federal Business Debit Card may be used anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted—millions of merchants worldwide, online, over the phone, and in-person.
Please note, to help cover currency conversion costs, Visa assesses an International Assessment Service Fee (ISA) of 1% of the purchase amount, which will be charged to your account.
ATM Cash Withdrawals
The Navy Federal Debit Card, CUCARD, and Navy Federal Business Debit Card can all be used to withdraw cash from ATMs. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
Navy Federal and CO-OP Network® ATMs
International Navy Federal and CO-OP ATMs are primarily found on U.S. military bases. To locate these ATMs, visit our Branches and ATMS page.
- You won’t be charged an ATM access fee when you use these machines.
- Some CO-OP ATMs could charge you an International Assessment Service Fee (ISA) of 1% of the amount withdrawn.
- Some ATMs may only allow you to withdraw from your checking account, not both checking and savings.
If you use a non-NFCU owned or out of network ATM, you could be charged several fees. Here is an overview of some of the fees you could encounter:
- International Assessment Fee (ISA): 1% of the amount withdrawn, which Visa charges to help cover currency conversion costs
- ATM access fee: most ATM owners charge a fee to use their ATM and the amount charged can vary widely
- Visa/PLUS® System ATM fee: a $1 service fee for withdrawals, inquiries, transfers, Invalid PIN attempts, and rejected transactions
Tip: If you choose to use an out-of-network ATM, we offer rebates with some of our checking accounts to help cover ATM access and Visa/PLUS fees.
- up to $10.00 per statement period with our Flagship Checking, Free Easy Checking and Free Campus Checking accounts
- up to $20.00 in ATM fee rebates per statement period with a Free Active Duty Checking® account
Withdrawals at Participating Banks
Some banks allow you to use your Navy Federal Debit Card or Navy Federal Business Debit Card to withdraw money, even if you don't have an account there. However, they’ll require Identification and a signature. Check with the country’s local banks to see if they participate.
Changing your PIN is fast and secure, and you'll be able to use it immediately.
|Navy Federal App||Online||Toll-Free Call|
|Navy Federal Debit Card||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Navy Federal Business Debit Card||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- Sign in and select Accounts on the bottom menu.
- Select the checking account that's linked to your debit card.
- Near the top of the screen, select Manage Card.
- Choose Change PIN under Maintenance and enter your new PIN.
- Sign in to account and select the Account Services tab.
- Select Change My Debit Card PIN under Debit & Prepaid Cards Management.
Stolen or Lost Cards
Contact us immediately if your card has been stolen or lost. We'll cancel your lost card and issue you a new one, either through the mail or you can get one immediately from an international branch.
Here’s how to contact us:
- eMessage: Sign in and at the top of the screen, tap Message to send us a secure online message.
- Call: International toll-free: 800-0-842-6328 or collect: 1-703-255-8837
- Mail: P.O. Box 23603, Merrifield, VA 22119-3603
Delivery Times for Mailed Replacement Cards
Card delivery times will vary, depending on the customs and postal service procedures in each country. For APO, FPO and other overseas addresses, it can take from 12 to 20 business days for regular mail to arrive.
You can choose to have your card expedited via FedEx for an $11.50 fee. It will be sent without a signature requirement and will be left on your doorstep or designated area.
As an extra layer of protection, freeze your Navy Federal Debit Card before you contact us so no one else can use it. Then, once you notify us, we’ll deactivate the current card and issue you a new one.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the rates and fees?
Any time you use your Navy Federal Debit Card, CUCARD or Navy Federal Business Debit Card overseas you'll be charged a 1% International Service Assessment (ISA) fee on the transaction amount, which helps cover the cost of currency conversion. This fee is identified as a separate transaction on your statement and is assessed for point-of-sale and non-Navy Federal-owned ATM transactions.
Additionally, if you use a Visa/PLUS® System ATM there is a $1 service fee for withdrawals, inquiries, transfers, Invalid PIN attempts, and rejected transactions.
Non-Navy Federal owned ATMs may assess an access fee to use their ATMs.
Transaction Currency Rates
Transactions made overseas or in foreign currencies will be charged to your checking account in U.S. dollars and will appear on your monthly statement. The currency conversion rate used on the processing day may differ from the purchase date or posting date rate. Navy Federal has no control over the rate of exchange or how an international transaction will post. We suggest visiting xe.com to get a general idea of currency exchange rates before you travel.
Navy Federal's Zero Liability Policy
Navy Federal’s Zero Liability Policy ensures our members won’t lose money due to fraud.Learn Moreabout Navy Federal's Zero Liability Policy
Digital and Mobile Wallets
Securely store your credit or debit card details on your mobile device* to make purchases anywhere without having to carry your actual card.Learn Moreabout Digital and Mobile Wallets
Using Your Navy Federal Debit Card Overseas
Learn what you need to know about using your debit card overseas.Learn Moreabout Using Your Navy Federal Debit Card Overseas